Monday, May 12, 2014

DRAGONS - Page Finish!!

I'm soooo excited to present to you the latest page finish of Dragons.
This is the fourth last page (only three to go!) and it's the first to be completed on the final top row.
Yep that means the top of the current page finish is the top of the piece!!



Current page just finished (top left corner).



There is an end in sight! I was really starting to think there might not be. This coming August will be 7 years on this piece and I'm determined to finish it before I hit 8.

For those wondering a few notes about this piece you may not know:
- while this is charted exactly like, and looks like a HAED it is in fact a pattern from Character Creations based in New Zealand whom are now defunct.
- the art is by Lisa Hunt and is supposed to represent Judgement card from the major arcana of a Tarot deck.
- most people start these patterns from top left. I start from bottom left and work to the right, then up as I stitch like I'm left handed (even though I'm righty). I learned to do it this way and there is no way I'm ever going to change.
- there are 106 colors of DMC in this pattern. With over 130 skeins to be used. Many colors require 3 or 4 skeins.
- it is being stitched over 1, with 1 thread on 25ct even weave Lugana beige.
- this blog got it's name because a friend told me I seemed to only pick "epic" stitching projects when I started stitching these beloved dragons.

Thanks to everyone whose been here from the beginning and those who've recently joined for continuing on this epic journey with me!
We're soooo close!! :)

Happy Stitching!
Mel.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Berwick Way NW,Calgary,Canada

22 comments:

Fiona said...

Congrats on the page finish Mel! I can't believe it's been 7 years watching these beauties grow :)

Justine said...

Well done! The end is in sight. Thanks for the info about the piece too. Really interesting. I would also be interested to know how many pages/stitches are in the finished piece? Only cos I've just started my first HAED and am obsessed with similar projects!

StitchyDon said...

Oooh, getting really close!! It's looking amazing !!

cucki said...

Wow looking so lovely x

Leonore Winterer said...

Wow, you are really making progress now! I bet you could even finish them this years if you really put yourself behind it ^_^

Bekca said...

The finish line is in sight :) Congrats on your beautiful stitching Mel, this certainly is epic!
Best wishes

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Congrats on your page finish! That certainly is an epic project! Love it! Aren't you excited when the light at the end of a long tunnel gets bigger and bigger? It will finish itself now.

Tricia T said...

Wow, Mel! I'm not much into dragons, but that is an impressive piece of stitching!!!! I'll have you know that I bought a HAED pattern during the Mother's Day sale because of you. : ) I can't wait to start this weekend, once my fabric arrives!!!! : )

The Crafty Princess said...

I love all things dragon and it is an epic chart. Such a great achievement and it is worth it in my opinion as it's absolutely stunning. Good luck to getting in under that 8 year mark. I'm sure you're "Fired" up to get this done. LOL!
Alicia xo

Angela said...

Well done! That is a gorgeous project :)

Joy said...

I used to see people get all excited about finishing a page of an HAED and I was like "what's the big deal?" And then, I got that HAED I won from you. Ha. I haven't even finished a page.

Way to go!

KimM said...

WOW! It's gorgeous!!!

Linda said...

Congrats on the page finish Mel. The end is in sight. Great Design.

Linda

sharine said...

It is looking great:)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Fantastic! You are so close to the end now. I love dragons.

Pull the other thread said...

Well done on the page finish. This piece is just so stunning. Good luck with getting the last few pages done. So close.

Susan said...

Congrats on your page finish! I haven't stitched anything like this or a HAED, but I do have a couple in my stash. Looking forward to watching this one move closer and closer to finished.

demeter83 said...

Ohwow, it's obviously far too long since I've checked in on your blog, Dragons looks amazing... it's incredible!

Maureen said...

Oh so near. I've enjoyed watching it grow over the years. Not long now!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Awesome and gorgeous! Congrats on finishing another page!

Tammy said...

OMG! That is so beautiful-I have no words. I admire so many of these type designs but I doubt I'd ever finish one! Keep up the great stitching. What an awesome project. Just gorgeous.

Stitchinowl said...

Stunning! I have never done a huge project, but I can certainly admire those who do. It will be something to treasure when finished.
Carolyn