Friday, May 6, 2016

WIP - The colours of fire?

A have an update on my Medieval Hearts project by Keslyn's. 
This piece uses one variegated silk and a rainbow treasure braid on a gorgeous linen. 

While I put a few stitches in tonight trying to calm from a very frantic and week I realized the beautiful linen with its yellows, and hints of grey and orange was reminding me of this weeks horror. It's the colours of fire...

I live two cities south of the wildfire in Fort McMurray that has ravaged the small city and burnt down 1000+ homes. As many of you may have seen this fire is beyond imagination... While the pictures and stories are shocking the behind the scenes work by so many is just as incredible. 
I'm not directly involved or affected ... And yet I know this fire will be part of my life in some way for years to come as its in my own province. Parts of my life, like my day job with the government (including co-workers who were evacuated) and my volunteering with the local SPCA, will involve responding to this disaster for a very long time. Much longer than the massive floods in my own city in 2013. As this disaster means for so many there isn't even a home to return to. 
And so while I carved out some time to stitch and try to gain some calm and composure my own piece reminds me nonetheless. 
It's bizarre how totally unrelated things in the world are connected by our subconscious minds. 

As piece is coming together, I'm seeing it perhaps being used to raise money in some way for the disaster relief... 

9 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Lovely work on your stitching and such a scary time. My brother and SIL have evacuated and are a little north of Edmonton right now in a hotel. They were able to get out with their dogs. I hope something will happen soon to put these fires out.

Leonore Winterer said...

Scary times indeed...I'm glad to hear your city as save, and I hope that all those who lost their homes will soon be able to start resettling and building new lives for themselves. Your stitching looks lovely, even if it reminds you of such a horrible distaster :(

KimM said...

Lovely stitching - and how wonderful to look forward to using it for such a good cause. DH and I have been following the news on the fires and our hearts go out to each and everyone affected - take care.
xxx

Unknown said...

Looks lovely.
The fire and the devastation is just awful xx

Justine said...

A lovely idea to use your stitching to raise funds for those affected by this awful fire.

Karen said...

I'm not in Alberta, but I have family who are. Still, seeing the videos and pictures of the fire is heartbreaking. Yet so thankful that we have heard of no loss of life, and pray that those who need to evacuate still, and in the future, get out safely.

Heather said...

That is scary I'm glad you're safe. The piece is gorgeous I love the idea of donating it to make money for the disaster relief

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

This is a lovely piece of stitching and it would be great to use it to fund raise.
It's hard to imagine the scale of the fire and how far it has spread. I am sure your country will pull together to help those affected.

Vickie said...

Your stitching is wonderful! I hope you stay safe!!!!